Al Khaliji bank announces 11% increase in profits

August 10, 2013 10:03 am

Al Khaliji bank announces 11% increase in profits

Al Khaliji (KCBK), the next generation bank in Qatar, announced its financial results for the first half of 2013, reporting a Net Profit of QR290.5m.

This represents an increase of 11% over its financial results for the same period of last year. Al Khaliji continues to achieve a consistent growth in net profit quarter after quarter registering a growth of 21% over the previous quarter (Q1 2013).

Al Khaliji France S.A.’s net profit was QR39.4m by end of June 2013.

Commenting on the strong financial performance, Rob McCall, Group Chief Executive Officer of Al Khaliji said: “These results confirm the effectiveness in implementing our strategy for 2013 and beyond. We continue to build momentum to meet our set targets for 2013. This success is attributable to our diverse and prudent growth approach in ensuring that our customers’ expectations and requirements are not only met but exceeded.”

Income Statement highlights

The Net Profit for the first half of this year stood at QR290.5m, 11% higher than the QR261.9m generated during the first half of 2012.

A total of 83% of revenues continue to be generated mainly from the Qatar based conventional banking activities. The remaining 17% was generated from Al Khaliji France S.A., its wholly owned subsidiary headquartered in Paris (France) with its four branches in four different emirates in the UAE.

The Net Operating Income for H1 2013 was QR515m, 12% higher than H1 2012.

The Investment income at QR121m is lower than H1 2012 by 22%. This result demonstrates once again that we are in line with our new strategy by reducing dependence on Investment income as we continue to grow our conventional business.

Robin McCall, Al Khaliji Group Chief Executive Officers added, “Al Khaliji has been consistent in delivering sustained and successful growth. This has been possible by recognizing our most valuable assets, our employees. We will continue to develop, recognize and reward their committed efforts “.

Balance Sheet highlights

Total assets increased by 17% compared to H1 2012 to reach QR32.6bn. Total assets have declined by 3% this year.

“This slight reduction in the first half of 2013 is due to the decrease in our investment securities’ portfolio as per our strategy. We are confident that our assets will witness a growth in the upcoming quarters driven by the growth in loans and advances to customers”. added McCall

Al Khaliji France S.A.’s represented 11% of the group’s total assets.

Loans and advances for the first half of 2013 stood at QR14.9bn, 30% higher than the same period of the previous year and 14% higher comparing to end of December 2012.

Deposits grew by 7 % to QR18.6bn in the first six months of 2013.

Loans to deposits ratio was 81% at the end of June 2013.

Earnings per share and capitalization

Earnings per share reached QR0.81 for the first six months of this year, up 11% compared to the same period in 2012.

The capital adequacy ratio was at 20.1% and Tier 1 capital ratio at 18.7%.

Provisioning

By the end of June 2013, the non-performing loans were QR60.2m and our NPL ratio improved to 0.40%.

His Excellency Sheikh Hamad Bin Faisal Bin Thani Al Thani, Chairman and Managing Director of Al Khaliji concluded, “Al Khaliji recorded a robust profit due to the added momentum of our refined medium term strategy. Linked to this our high liquidity and capital position together with our prudent risk management practices, has laid a solid foundation for future growth. Qatar continues to be a very attractive market for local, regional and international investors; and we remain well positioned, with our understanding of the Qatar banking sector, to capture future growth.”

About the Author

Mr. Tamim Maha Ali is the Chief Editor of Qatar Chronicle. After completing his post-graduation from the International College Dublin Business School, he worked in various consulting capacities for equity and business firms in Lusail. A shrewd strategist, he is an Economic Pundit, entrepreneur and Investment Banker.

Leave A Response