Yes, we know you’ve been waiting the better part of this month for this but we’re going to keep you waiting just a little while longer. (And if you can’t that’s okay! we’d definitely understand if you just scroll down the page to find the results printed in bold).
Allow us to first reintroduce the awards and the exemplary 7 social media communities who have in the past couple of weeks shown just how deep a place they have in the hearts of Qatarizens.
While nominees for the other categories were chosen from among the top social media pages in Qatar; the nominations for the Qatar Chronicle Readers Awards for Extraordinary Achievement in Social Media were sent in directly by readers from across the nation.
We are proud to say that nearly 20,000 readers voted for their favourite social media icons, and we would like to thank each and every one of them for making this inaugural QC Readers Awards a success.
Out of a total of 51 entries who competed for the nominations, the following seven had qualified for a place in the Grand Finals.
1) WeAreQatar @WeAreQatar - Qatar’s first rotation curation twitter account, @WeAreQatar is managed by a different curator every week. Curators are mostly Qatari residents from various backgrounds and each bring their own unique perspective into what life’s like in Qatar. The account presents a great potential for residents from different nationalities to be ambassadors of the country by representing the wider community and offers tourists and newcomers a valuable insight into the nation’s essence.
2) Qatar Foundation @QF - Qatar Foundation is a private, non-profit organization that serves the people of Qatar by supporting and operating programs in three core mission areas: education, science and research, and community development. The Foundation strives to nurture the future leaders of Qatar. In all of its activities, the Foundation promotes a culture of excellence in Qatar and furthers its role in supporting an innovative and open society that aspires to develop sustainable human capacity, social, and economic prosperity for a knowledge-based economy.
3) Doha News @dohanews -Doha News has been covering breaking news, politics, business, culture and more in and around Qatar since 2009. One of the most popular online newspapers in Qatar, the portal has received wide praise for its social media activity and the unique brand of interactive reporting that constantly involves their readers as key news sources on important stories.
4) Doha Mums @DohaMums - Doha Mums is an active community of more than 1400 mums of 100+ nationalities and is the first of its kind mums group in Doha.
5) Qatar Animal Welfare Society @QAWSQATAR - Qatar Animal Welfare Society (QAWS) is a non-profit organisation that was established in 2004 through a need to give shelter to abandoned dogs and cats in Doha.
6) I Love Qatar @iloveqatar - @iloveqatar helps people to find out the latest events, breaking news and the coolest tips on Qatar. An awesome community, managed by the illustrious Mr. Q; The brand’s tagline “Everything you need to live life in Qatar” says it all.
7) One Second Qatar @OneSecondQatar - One Second Qatar is a non-profit organization that revolves around road safety. It raises awareness on various traffic safety issues in Qatar through its numerous social media platforms. It also aims to utilize world class research and best practices in delivering a programme that changes road user behaviour and reduces road accidents.
How the polls progressed – QAWS vs Dohamums
In the first night after the polls were announced, @WeAreQatar, @ILoveQatar and @DohaNews had won the majority of the votes polled; however as the polls progressed it became increasingly clear that this was going to be a close encounter between @QAWSQatar and @DohaMums. Between themselves the two had won a massive tally of nearly 80% of the total votes polled.
And the Winner is
With 42% of the polls cast in their favour, an impressive total of over 8,000 readers voted for @Dohamums as the winner of the Qatar Chronicle Extraordinary Achievement in Social Media Award. And rightfully so.
Beginning their social media activity modestly with a Facebook page in November 2010, Doha Mums had set before themselves a noble mission – ‘To welcome mums of all nationalities and religions to Qatar’. And since their inception, the ‘SuperMums’ of Doha have definitely walked the talk by reaching out to mums through efforts such as support groups for mental health and special needs, regular events including fun activities for kids and most recently, the Doha Mums Children’s Library.
The interest in the latter has exploded since pictures of the same started being posted on Facebook.
The community’s members regularly volunteer to organize an average of 90+ events per month – including a monthly Mums Night Out, weekly coffees for New Arrivals and the New & Expectant Mums, loads of playgroups, trips and tours around Doha, craft sessions, holiday parties, and much more.
What are their thoughts on winning the honour?
“Doha Mums is honored to have been be nominated alongside QAWS, Doha News, I Love Qatar, WeAreQatar, OneSecond Qatar and Qatar Foundation for the Qatar Chronicle Award for Most Extraordinary Achievement in Social Media. All of the nominees have made such wonderful and unique contributions to social media in Doha and we are thrilled to be a part of the buzz.”, remarked ‘Supermom’ Roxanne Davis – Founder of Doha Mums, modestly.
And in second place – QAWS
Calling them runners-up would in no means do justice to their performance in this tight race or their contributions to making Qatar one of the most animal friendly countries in the World.
With its noble cause of providing shelter for animals in Qatar; QAWS or Qatar Animal Welfare Society promotes animal welfare through education, rescue, rehabilitate and re-home abandoned, abused and neglected animals and offers advice and guidance to the best of their ability to anyone with an animal related issue or question.
QAWS gathered a total of over 7500 votes (approximately 37%) in the polls. The organization had initially started out as a Facebook Group in 2008 and migrated to a page in June 2010. QAWS has been active on Twitter since January 2012.
Although their social media following had started small, it has grown massively over the past few years. Along with Qatar based expats, the group now also enjoys a significant local and international support group.
The organization has increasingly used Social media in the past few years to raise awareness on animal welfare in a fun yet informative way. The ‘Happy Endings’ concept, where QAWS posts pictures of animals who have left their shelter and found new families, has been a hit among their social media followers in Qatar.
The organization perhaps faced their toughest threat when they had been evicted from their location. The announcement of the same was met with a fantastic response by supporters and within just a few days, they had gathered 75,000 signatures in support of the QAWS.
What are their thoughts on being runners up?
“This has been a great opportunity to raise awareness of animal welfare in Qatar and increase the profile of QAWS, the work we do and the animals we care for. It’s been an honour to compete alongside some of the largest and best known social media sites in Qatar and we’re delighted to have been involved” said Kelly Allen of QAWS.
“We are incredibly grateful to those who initially nominated QAWS for the award and to all our supporters who voted for us… we hope to continue raising awareness of animal welfare through social media for many more years”, she added.
Thank you once again Dear Readers, for making the First Qatar Chronicle Readers Awards for Most Extraordinary Achievement in Social Media a Success. So, what do you think of this year’s winners?
Do you think there’s any particular group/organization we left out, who deserve to be nominated next year?
Let us know your thoughts by commenting below.