Paris 19th August 2013 : Qatar’s foreign minister Khaled al-Attiyah said yesterday his country had never given aid to Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood and that all assistance went to Egypt as a whole.
“Qatar did not provide support to a specific political party or group, it is still providing assistance to Egypt after the January 25 (2011) revolution up until now,” minister told a joint news conference with his French counterpart Laurent Fabius. “The Qatari assistance and support for the Egyptian people will not stop,” he added.
Qatar forcefully condemned the crackdown by Egyptian security forces on supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood and Egypt’s ousted Islamist president Mohamed Morsi. More than 750 people were killed in the crackdown.
Qatar has repeatedly voiced solidarity with the Islamist leader’s camp since the Egyptian army ousted Morsi last month amid massive protests against his rule.
Laurent Fabius called on importance of stopping bloodshed and establishing dialogue between all parties in Egypt. “This is not an easy thing of course but I think all countries with good intentions should work in that direction,” said Fabius.
“It’s important we mobilise our energy so that Egyptians find a solution. No one — not Qatar, not France, not any country — can impose a solution. It’s up to the Egyptians to make their decisions,” he added.
Saudi Arabia also warned the West against putting pressure on Egypt’s military-backed government to halt a crackdown on supporters of ousted president Morsi.
Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Saud Al Faisal, told reporters through an interpreter during a visit to Paris: “We will not achieve anything through threats.”
France called on Saudi Arabia and Qatar to help find a solution to the Egypt crisis